Sunday 13 July 2008

Wharrem Percy - Thixendale Circular (13 July 2008)

Because of the appalling recent weather and some other commitments, it’s been a couple of weeks since I was last able to get out for a walk. Not to worry, only moderate showers were forecast today. The plan was to rise early, park at Wharrem Percy by nine and to be back at home in time for a late lunch. It didn’t quite work out that way: the ample consolation for a noon start was listening to a rerun of an edition of “I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue” on the drive over.

I was lucky to find a space at the small Wharrem Percy car park. The scant remains of the medieval village were attracting plenty of visitors on what was now a very pleasant day. I left the modest throng and headed up a lane for a short distance before joining a bridleway along a ridge.

Faced with alternative paths I left the main route, for no better reason than it avoided retracing my steps for half a mile on the return leg. I’d never used the path before but, whilst it was clear enough on the ground, it was a bit overgrown and took a rather roundabout course.

A couple of tracks in the vicinity look like they’ve been diverted in the past, probably to preserve the privacy of a large farm, Raisthorpe Manor. As is frequently the case when an often ancient way is abandoned, the resulting diversion cuts across the grain of the land and is never quite as pleasing as the natural route. I’m sure a route could have been devised which avoided the environs of the farm building, whilst retaining the integrity of the way. Still, the residents of Raisthorpe Manor are spared the sight of occasional plebs.

The high Wolds are an extremely attractive part of Yorkshire, largely unknown outside the area, and, even on a sunny Sunday afternoon, the paths were unfrequented. Thixendale was positively humming with people, however; there was an open gardens event in full swing. The village isn’t pretty, but is full of character and has a terrific setting. Although I only popped in for a soft drink, the pub’s pretty good too…

The remaining route back to the car was along the Yorkshire Wolds Way and begins with a steep pull back onto the tops. As befits its National Trail status a few more walkers were now in evidence. Fortunately, none were about when I performed my party piece. It could have been the walking poles, or the long grass, or simply tripping over my own feet. Whatever the cause, I dived headlong, greeting the earth with a Glasgow Kiss – the bruise is developing nicely.

The Wharrem Percy Medieval Village site was moderately busy with visitors. The old fish ponds and the ruined church sit in a scenic little valley, surrounded by the humps and bumps of the abandoned settlement. It takes a leap of the imagination beyond my admittedly limited abilities to visualise life here in the fifteenth century.

And so back to the car after a grand walk of about nine miles without any foot or stamina problems. I must get up earlier next Sunday though…

No comments: