Sunday 24 August 2008

Fordon Circular (24/08/2008)



Posted by Picasa

I’d originally planned to walk a fairly challenging route in the Thixendale/Kirby Underdale area today – a chunk of the North Wolds Walk – but, by the time I got myself organised and through various chores, it was a little late to venture too far in the Bank Holiday traffic. I postponed the longer hike and settled for a toddle in the Fordon area – a repeat of a five mile walk I did at the back end of June.

By way of a contrast, this time I walked the circuit anti-clockwise. This had the advantage of getting the mile or so of road walking in East Dale done and out of the way at the start.

Someone had decorated the bridleway up to Danebury Manor with a couple of old ‘fridges – with no more effort they could have been taken to the amenity site. This desecration was matched by a large bag of builders’ waste, dumped at the side of Flixton lane. I bet the culprit was really proud of having avoided paying for proper disposal. Some people don’t deserve to be in business.

These grumbles aside the walk was again very pleasant (and litter free). Butterflies and birds were out in abundance, together with the odd rabbit.

On the descent into Lang Dale I had twin sightings of much rarer creatures; walkers on the Yorkshire Wolds Way. I chatted for a little while with two elderly men (i.e.: older than me), who were walking the route in stages. Resuming the descent into the dale I exchanged greetings with what looked like a mother and daughter backpacking the trail. The Wolds Way is underrated; perhaps it is less taxing than other long distance paths, but it truly is a very good walk.

After attacking the jungle of nettles and briars on the path into the farm yard at Fordon, it was back to the car and home.

No comments: