Tuesday 7 October 2008

Kirkby Stephen to Keld

Thursday 11 September 2008

(Walking Distance: 12 miles)

The Aussies, Peter & Christine, at Nine Standards
Nine Standards Rigg
Kirkby Stephen from Nine Standards

Whitsundale
Posted by Picasa

Ravenseat

Wain Wath Force
Posted by Picasa


Breakfast dispelled my initial impression that the hostess was somewhat remote: perhaps she’d had an off day yesterday. The meal was good and eaten round a single large table with Gavin, from London, and his Canadian girlfriend, Kathy; together with a single, non-walking, guest. Gavin and Kathy had had a couple of days off, but were walking today over to Keld Lodge.

I started walking at about 09:15hrs on a bright, cool, dry morning and made good progress by Fell House on to the open moor. I knew Nine Standards was going to be wet; on my last visit to the hill, in early August 2008, the bogs had been epic – it was much wetter this year. I’d half considered following the bad weather route: staying with the bridleway and dropping down to the road from Nateby, but that seemed like cheating: anyway, the day was improving. Over the hill I went.

I’d read that Julia Bradbury (God bless her little, cotton, walking socks) was following up her “Wainwright Walks” series for BBC4 with a series documenting the Coast to Coast Walk. It was only after chatting with someone that I realised that the “striking young woman” in the Black Bull last night was her. Bugger…

I was quite pleased with my progress; much quicker than my last visit, with few, if any, stops during the long pull to the summit. Whilst congratulating myself I spotted the Aussies trotting up the hill behind me and rapidly closing the gap. Pretty fit them there Aussies! They caught me up at the big cairns.

The views from the top were good and extensive, but perhaps a shade hazier than they'd been on my last visit. We were soon joined by others, including the Geezers and the Whitby duo. It was very, very damp, with frequent and entertaining bog hopping. The groups leapfrogged each other for much of the rest of the day.

I can’t better the description of the descent towards Swaledale than that of last August; “The walk down Whitsun Dale is muddy; in places a morass of semi-liquid peat. The surroundings are sombre, lonely and magnificent”.

We stopped for an alfresco tea and scone at Ravenseat. What a splendid spot for a tea break. The farmer’s wife was busy serving a steadily growing collection of mud streaked refugees from the tops. She was friendly and chatty. Yet more Julia gossip: she was filming in the barn tomorrow (Ravenseat’s wet weather cafĂ©).

After the farm the dale gets greener, softer and ever more striking; the Dales at their brilliant best. I was at Keld Lodge by about 15:30hrs. The Aussies were walking another two or three miles to their B&B at Muker. Never to be accused of taking the easy option, I later learnt that they had forsaken the riverside path for the much higher, rougher, but superb Pennine Way route via Thwaite.

Whatever one might think of the YHA selling their Keld Hostel, its successor, although not cheap, is very good indeed, with an excellent bar, restaurant and comfortable rooms. The early finish left plenty of time for a laundry session, utilising the Lodge’s drying room, and a snooze before a memorable meal.

The Geezers and Gavin and Kathy were also resident, together with other C2C walkers not previously encountered. I lingered after supper over a non-alcoholic lager or two, chatting with Gavin before retiring to a comfortable bed and a good night’s kip.

Accommodation:

Keld Lodge
Keld
Richmond
N Yorkshire
DL11 1LL
01748 886259


Despite my prejudices against the YHA’s decision to sell the building, Keld Lodge is very good, if a bit pricey. The owners also now own and operate Butt House. Although Butt House is run as a separate business they have something approaching a monopoly of accommodation provision in the hamlet; an important crossroads of Long Distant Paths.







No comments: